Pastelitos de guayaba (Guava & Cheese Pastry)

This Cuban Guava Pastry is one of my favorite pastries that is rarely found outside of local Spanish markets around my area. It is kind of similar to an American apple turnover, flaky on the outside and filled with delicious guava, sometimes cream cheese and has a square shape. They are simply delicious. Enough said. Here is a simplified version that we did that took under an hour. We decided to make Pastelitos de guayaba for Cinco de Mayo instead of our usual guacamole with tortilla chips.  We thought this would be a nice refreshing change.  Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone!

Ingredients:

1 pkg. Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets

1 bar guava paste

1 pkg. Cream cheese (optional)

1 egg (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 F degrees .

Pastelitos de guayaba (Guava & Cheese Pastry)

2. Thaw the puff pastry according to package directions. Use parchment paper to line your cookie sheet so the guava won’t stick.

Pastelitos de guayaba (Guava & Cheese Pastry)

3. Unfold one of the pastry sheets and place on pan.

Pastelitos de guayaba (Guava & Cheese Pastry)

4. Cut guava into 1/4 inch slices and place on the pastry sheet.

Pastelitos de guayaba (Guava & Cheese Pastry)

5. Spread cream cheese over guava paste slices (optional).

Pastelitos de guayaba (Guava & Cheese Pastry)

6. Unfold second pastry sheet and place on top of guava paste.

Pastelitos de guayaba (Guava & Cheese Pastry)

7. Cut to desired size before baking.

Pastelitos de guayaba (Guava & Cheese Pastry)

8. You can optionally whisk an egg with little bit of water and do an egg wash with a brush on top of the puff pastry.

Pastelitos de guayaba (Guava & Cheese Pastry)

9. Bake at 400 for 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.

Pastelitos de guayaba (Guava & Cheese Pastry)

10. They will look absolutely irresistible, but give them time to cool.

Pastelitos de guayaba (Guava & Cheese Pastry)

11. Serve as is or feel free to dust some confectioners’ sugar on top and enjoy!

Yield: 15 servings

Prep Time: 10

Cook Time: 30

Total Time: 40

Ingredients:

1 pkg. Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets

1 bar guava paste

1 pkg. Cream cheese (optional)

1 egg (optional)

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 400 F degrees .

2) Thaw the puff pastry according to package directions.

3) Use parchment paper to line your cookie sheet so the guava won’t stick.

4) Unfold one of the pastry sheets and place on pan.

5) Cut guava into 1/4 inch slices and place on the pastry sheet.

6) Spread cream cheese over guava paste slices (optional).

7) Unfold second pastry sheet and place on top of guava paste. You can optionally whisk an egg with little bit of water and do an egg wash with a brush on top of the puff pastry.

8) Cut to desired size before baking.

9) Bake at 400 for 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.

10) They will look absolutely irresistible, but (seriously, trust me on this) use as much self-control as you can muster and give them time to cool before taking that first bite.

Pin It

41 Responses to “Pastelitos de guayaba (Guava & Cheese Pastry)”

1. #
    Rizza — May 5, 2013 @ 9:53 am

You make it look so easy!! This one really looks yummy! Great captures, too!

• Jerry Ko — May 5th, 2013 @ 10:51 pm

Thanks Rizza. They definitely are tasty and I;m glad that you enjoyed the photo captures :)

2. #
    Kate@Diethood — May 5, 2013 @ 10:12 am

This is something I’ve never had, but I think it’s time to definitely give it a try! It sounds so, so good!

• Jerry Ko — May 5th, 2013 @ 10:51 pm

Kate, you should give these a try :)

3. #
    Em — May 5, 2013 @ 12:12 pm

Hi Jerry, that looks soo delicious! I love guava pastry. One of those things Cy can’t eat but I would be all over it ;)

• Jerry Ko — May 5th, 2013 @ 10:52 pm

Em, maybe you can substitute some somethings and do something similar.

4. #
    Fran @ G'day Souffle' — May 6, 2013 @ 4:04 am

I’m not sure I can buy Guava paste where I live in South Australia, but maybe I could substitute a homemade mango or strawberry coulis for the filling. Jerry, to answer your last question on my Mini-Cheesecake recipe, I didn’t use the waterbath method since the cakes are quite small and cook evenly without having to use a waterbath.

• Jerry Ko — May 6th, 2013 @ 10:21 am

Hi Fran, if you cant find Guava paste, you could try to look for Guava preserves or substitute with basically any other kind of fruit paste or preserve jam even :)

5. #
    Sharon D. — May 6, 2013 @ 10:30 am

Ooo..this looks really yummy! I think I may give it a try!

• Jerry Ko — May 6th, 2013 @ 10:32 am

It is delicious. And just make sure you hold any temptations to eat one right away. Let it cool down a bit first. May be hard to do but its worth the wait :)

• Sharon D. — May 6th, 2013 @ 10:58 pm

Thanks for the tip, Jerry! ^.^
        I’ve bookmarked this recipe for Christmas.

• Jerry Ko — May 6th, 2013 @ 11:43 pm

Anytime Sharon. Christmas cant come soon enough ;)

6. #
    Judit + Corina @WineDineDaily — May 6, 2013 @ 8:51 pm

What a delicious idea Jerry, guava and cream cheese. These pastries look truly tempting :)

• Jerry Ko — May 6th, 2013 @ 9:25 pm

I’m sure if you take a little time to make this you wont regret it :)

7. #
    rebecca — May 6, 2013 @ 10:08 pm

delicious love these pastries

• Jerry Ko — May 6th, 2013 @ 10:49 pm

Me too! It was love at first bite :)

8. #
    Suzanne — May 6, 2013 @ 11:23 pm

Oh wow! Jerry these look like a real treat to eat. I have never seen the guava bar but it looks like it would be really delicious melted together with cream cheese in that puff pastry!

• Jerry Ko — May 6th, 2013 @ 11:39 pm

These definitely are a nice treat. The beauty about this recipe is you can substitute the Guava paste with essentially anything like guava preserve jam or a different fruit all together :) You get to be creative with it.

9. #
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef — May 7, 2013 @ 1:07 am

oh my. I definitely want. :) Not sure where I’ll find guava anything down here but I’ll give it a go or I’ll make do. These look so good!

• Jerry Ko — May 7th, 2013 @ 9:43 am

Maureen, for me personally my best bet to find guava paste has been to go to a Hispanic market place. Sometimes the big franchise supermarkets might carry them in the international isle. So if you have any by you I’d start there but if not, Id suggest using guava jelly instead or another fruity preserve or jam :)

10. #
    Michele — May 7, 2013 @ 1:47 am

Wow. I don’t even have a sweet tooth but this is on my “must try” list. Looks so yummy.

• Jerry Ko — May 7th, 2013 @ 9:44 am

Michele, if you prefer things not too sweet, Id recommend using a little less guava paste then suggested in the recipe.

11. #
    Jayne — May 7, 2013 @ 5:10 am

I’ve never seen guava paste! We get fresh guavas here but I think that might be a South American thing? I think this works well with fig jam which I just got recently. Can’t wait to try!

• Jerry Ko — May 7th, 2013 @ 9:45 am

Jayne How about guava paste? if not I think the fig jam would work just as well. I’d love to hear how it came out for you :)

12. #
    Tracy | Peanut Butter and Onion — May 7, 2013 @ 11:36 am

Just found your site, glad I did, these look amazing

13. #
    Kathy @ Food Wine Thyme — May 7, 2013 @ 9:57 pm

Whoa, I must try making these. Maybe even tomorrow. Yum

• Jerry Ko — May 7th, 2013 @ 10:06 pm

Kathy I’d love to hear what you think once you made them :)

• Kathy @ Food Wine Thyme — May 7th, 2013 @ 10:08 pm

I will definitely let you know. Im sure they are nothing short of fantastic

14. #
    Laura Dembowski — May 8, 2013 @ 10:27 am

I always see guava pastries and think they look so good, but there’s no where to get them around here. Now I can make my own!

• Jerry Ko — May 8th, 2013 @ 10:35 am

Yes you can Laura :) I just finished my batch this morning and I’m already feeling like making another batch myself as well.

15. #
    Malou | Skip to Malou — May 9, 2013 @ 3:29 pm

I love guava anything. My oh my we just consumed our last bottle of guava jelly that came from the Philippines. It’s actually home made that my aunt gave and we received a few bottles from my brother in law when he came back for a visit. I could have used some for these delicate looking guava and cheese pastries. You definitely showed how easy they could be made.
    Wow I will definitely look for the goya guava paste at the grocery store. I hope they sell them here.

• Jerry Ko — May 9th, 2013 @ 3:39 pm

Malou, guava jelly would have worked just as well but if you can find guava paste, feel free to use other fruit jams. I’m been pondering about making a future batch with possibly mango puree.

16. #
    Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — May 10, 2013 @ 12:28 pm

Jerry, these look truly amazing!! I love that there’s only 4 ingredients to make them.

• Jerry Ko — May 10th, 2013 @ 12:34 pm

And that is really all you need. Don’t even think about adding sugar to sweeten the cream cheese. The guava paste already has got that covered :) Thanks for stopping by Ashley!

17. #
    Carolyn Jung — May 13, 2013 @ 10:24 pm

What’s not to like about buttery pastry hiding cream cheese and sweet guava? Seconds, please! ;)

• Jerry Ko — May 13th, 2013 @ 11:08 pm

Like wise. Bringing on thirds and fourths :)

18. #
    Peter @Feed Your Soul Too — May 16, 2013 @ 1:47 pm

This looks awesome. Your site is great too!

• Jerry Ko — May 16th, 2013 @ 2:17 pm

Thanks Peter! Your site rocks as well :) My wife and I love all those Creole meals along with other delicious goodies you got going on your site!

19. #
    May — May 19, 2013 @ 6:15 am

You’ve got a terrific site, it’s got so much useful information! The recipe looks delicious too..have saved it to try out in the future!

20. #
    ashley - baker by nature — May 20, 2013 @ 10:08 pm

I’ve never seen anything like this before! Totally intrigued!